Joe Wolfe: music page
My day job is physics: I research the physics of the voice and of musical instruments.
I am also a composer. This page exists to list some of my orchestral and chamber music, which may be downloaded as mp3 sound files or as sheet music.
Some orchestral and chamber music
- Circle of Fourths is my most recent work. The principal theme is ... a circle of fourths. Recently performed in the Sydney Symphony Orchestra's Playerlink program.
- Concerto for trumpet and orchestra was written for Anthony
Heinrichs of the Sydney Symphony. It has had five performances so far.
- Quartet for flute, alto saxophone, bassoon and 'cello is my most often performed work. A suite of five movements written because there is not enough chamber music combining saxophone with other instruments. This work has been arranged for saxophone quartet by Ellis Hendriksen.
- The Stairway Suite is a collection of seven orchestral versions of the song 'Stairway to Heaven', each in the style of a different, well known composer. (Also regularly performed, mainly by youth or community orchestras.)
- Speech and music, effability and ineffability is a chamber opera, performed as a plenary session at the International Conference on Cognitive Science, held at Sydney in 2003. It was also performed as a plenary at the International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition. Although the debate was about as serious as one might expect from an opera, the issues discussed are scientifically interesting and the background paper from the proceedings is on the same site.
- Sydney Sketches is a symphonic tone poem. Four movements to evoke four locations during a summer's day in that city. Will be performed by Woollahra Philharmonic in December.
- Conjunction: An interactive introduction to the orchestra is written for school choirs and orchestra. I think that it is a good educational work for school students, but its attraction for amateur orchestras is that it produces large audiences.
- Anniversary Overture was written to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the University of New South Wales Orchestra.
Parts and scores. This music is self published and is available from me or downloaded from this site. For amateur orchestras, the score and parts may be available for the cost of post and handling, though I usually ask users of my music to make a donation to a charity. Write to:
Joe Wolfe / J.Wolfe@unsw.edu.au, phone 61-2-9385 4954 (UT + 10, +11 Oct-Mar).
About Joe. The magazine Australasian Science did a profile on me recently. Margaret Thorsby did an interview with me for the ABC's The interview.
Music Acoustics home page
My scientific home page
A list of my educational sites
Links to other composers' pages
- Music Australia is a resource for Australian music.
- David Stanhope is an Australian composer and conductor known to many who saw the Sydney Olympic opening ceremony.
- Rimshot music is the site for the music of Australian composer Nigel Westlake, well known for his film and concert music.
- Musica viva is a site with downloadable music from many composers.