The School of Physics is actively committed to the
health, safety and welfare of its workers, students,
contractors, visitors, and public. It will establish,
implement and maintain an HS Management System which is
an integral part of UNSW HS Management System and
conforms with UNSW HS Policies, Guidelines and
Procedures, Australian Standard AS/NZS4801: 2001 and
other statutory health and safety requirements while
acting positively to promote safe work practices.
"Our overall aim is "Harm to zero", with the expectation
that all persons shall come to no harm while in the
workplace."(UNSW HS Policy Statement)
The School of Physics recognises its responsibility for
providing a safe and healthy work place and work
environment for workers and others who may be affected
by its work or undertakings.
To ensure this, the School has the following
- To assess work activities by identification of
hazards and evaluation of risks.
- To reduce risks through maintenance of equipment and
establishment of safe practices.
- To report on any problem arising from maintenance of
building and facilities.
- To minimise unavoidable risks by the use of physical
and administrative measures and provision of personal
- To provide safe arrangements for the use, handling,
storage and transport of articles and substances.
- To provide necessary information, instruction,
training and supervision to ensure the health and
safety of workers, visitors and students.
- To consult with workers’ representatives on health
and safety matters through the School of Physics
- To implement monitoring, inspection, testing and
- To establish and maintain the identification,
collection, indexing, filing storage, maintenance and
disposal of H&S records.
- To make arrangements for co-ordination and
co-operation with, plus the dissemination of relevant
information to, its workers and workers’ of other
organisations and contractors who may be required to
work in the School controlled areas or activities.
- To integrate health and safety responsibilities into
everyday working practices and managerial
School of Physics HS Committee
26 August 2013