The School of Physics offers Master of Philosophy, Masters by Research, and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. These research degrees involve the student independently researching a specific topic under the guidance of a supervisor. The Master of Philosophy also involves coursework.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you are enrolled at the start of every semester and that your enrolment is correct. In order to ensure that your enrolment details are up to date:

  • Contact Professor Michael Ashley to get your enrolment form.
  • Carefully read and complete the enrolment form.
    MSC and PHD students will usually enrol into the course PHYS9103 Research Thesis Physics F/T ( for full time students) or PHYS9113 Research Thesis Physics P/T (part time students)
  • Return the form to Michael Ashley for approval.
  • Login to your student profile at myUNSW
  • Double-check that you do not have any outstanding fees as this will prevent staff from enrolling you.

Students must enrol by the semester census date. Variation of enrolment after this date is not permitted.

It is a condition of continual enrolment in the higher research degree that your performance is assessed by an annual progress review. Annual progress reviews provide an opportunity for you, your supervisor/s and your School to:take stock of how your project has gone over the past year (or 6 months if you are new); review all aspects of your candidature; and develop a plan of action for the next year.

The Postgraduate Director is Prof Michael Ashley and students should contact him in the first instance. The Graduate Research School provides advice and assistance to all higher degree research students at UNSW.

Graduate Research School
Master of Philosophy