Physics is the study of the laws of nature that govern the behaviour of the universe, from the smallest sub-atomic particles to the universe itself. It applies these laws to the solution of practical and theoretical problems and to the development of new technologies. Studying Physics will prove valuable whether you follow a scientific career or are simply interested in understanding how the world around you works.

The School of Physics at UNSW teaches both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. Undergraduate students can study physics through a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Science (Advanced Science) degree or through combined degrees with Arts, Commerce, Education, Engineering or Laws. We teach postgraduate research degrees; both a PhD and Masters in Science by research are available, as is the Master of Philosophy degree. We also offer a postgraduate coursework program in Photonics and Optoelectronics which can be studied on campus at UNSW, or via distance. Our Graduate Diplomas in Physics or Physics Research Techniques are designed for students needing to upgrade their undergraduate qualifications before beginning a research degree.

The School of Physics at UNSW is one of the largest in Australia. Staff in the School conduct world-class research in five departments (Astrophysics; Biophysics; Condensed Matter Physics; Environmental and Applied Physics; and Theoretical Physics). The School also hosts the ARC Centre for Quantum Computer Technology. Many of the academic staff have also won teaching awards. We have 26 academic staff, approximately 50 research-only staff and 50 postgraduate research students. The School of Physics at UNSW is a dynamic environment in which to study physics.

Students from overseas institutions may be interested in coming to UNSW for one or two sessions as an exchange student. There are exchange programs for students wanting to study undergraduate courses, and for those wanting to gain research experience.

Further information about studying at UNSW can be found by the links on this webpage, or by contacting the Physics Friend.