M.Sc. University of Ulm, Germany 1994.
Ph.D. Max-Planck Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart, Germany (M. Cardona) 1994-1997.
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Bell-Labs and NIST, U.S.A. (A.P. Ramirez, C. Broholm) 1998-1999.
Research Associate, Max-Planck Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart, Germany (B. Keimer) 1999-2009
The main topic of the research of Clemens Ulrich is the field of strongly correlated electron systems, in particular transition metal oxides and unconventional superconductors. Of special interest are the effects of spin, charge, and orbital correlations in 3-dimensional perovskites with partly occupied 3d-electronic levels. The used experimental techniques are inelastic neutron scattering, Raman lights scattering, and resonant inelastic synchrotron x-ray scattering. The combination of these complementary techniques allow to yield a detailed insight in the physics behind strongly correlated electron systems.
Clemens Ulrich is currently building up optical laboratories for Raman light scattering and photoluminescense spectroscopy at the UNSW. The setups are equipped with various Lasers and the experimental contitions for the sample environment are: temperature range 4.2 K - 2000 K, pressure range up to 700,000 bar.
At the new research reactor OPAL at ANSTO, Clemens Ulrich is building up the Neutron Laue Diffraction setup JOEY. The main purpose of this instrument is the test of sample quality and alignment of single crystals prior to an experiment on one of the high-flux instruments. The Neutron Laue Camera will be
available for all neutron users at the Bragg Institute.
Clemens Ulrich has more than 60 refereed publications in high-impact journals in magnetism, strongly correlated electron materials and condensed matter physics. His publications were cited more than 1400 times, his Hirsch index is 20.
Clemens Ulrich is holding a joint position with the University of New South Wales and ANSTO.
- M. Reehuis, C. Ulrich, K. Prokes, S. Matas, J. Fujioka, S. Miyasaka, Y. Tokura, and B. Keimer, Structural and magnetic phase transitions of the orthovanadates RVO(3) (R = Dy, Ho, Er) as seen via neutron diffraction, Phys. Rev. B. 83, 064404 (2011). Times Cited: 0.
- M. Rahlenbeck, M. Wagenknecht, A. Tsukada, D. Koelle, R. Kleiner, B. Keimer, and C. Ulrich, Raman light scattering study and microstructural analysis of epitaxial films of the electron-doped superconductor La(2-x)Ce(x)CuO(4), European Physical Journal B 75, 461 (2010). Times Cited: 0.
- C. Ulrich, L.J.P. Ament, G. Ghiringhelli, L. Braicovich, S.M. Moretti, N. Pezzotta, T. Schmitt, G. Khaliullin, J. van den Brink, H. Roth, T. Lorenz, and B. Keimer,
Momentum Dependence of Orbital Excitations in Mott-Insulating Titanates, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 107205 (2009). Times Cited: 8.
- M. Bakr, A.P. Schnyder, L. Klam, D. Manske, C.T. Lin, B. Keimer, M. Cardona, and C. Ulrich, Electronic and phononic Raman scattering in detwinned YBa2Cu3O6.95 and Y0.85Ca0.15Ba2Cu3O6.95: s-wave admixture to the dx2-y2-wave order parameter, Phys. Rev. B 80, 064505 (2009). Times Cited: 5.
- M. Rahlenbeck, G. L. Sun, D. L. Sun, C. T. Lin, B. Keimer, and C. Ulrich, Phonon anomalies in pure and underdoped R1 - xKxFe2As2 (R = Ba, Sr) investigated by Raman light scattering, Phys. Rev. B, 80(6), Art. No. 064509 (2009).
- C. Ulrich, G. Ghiringhelli, A. Piazzagalli, L. Braicovich, N.B. Brookes, H. Roth, T. Lorenz and B. Keimer Orbital excitations in YTiO3 and LaTiO3 probed by resonant inelastic x-ray scattering Phys. Rev. B 77, 113102 (2008)
- C. Ulrich, A. Gössling, M. Grüninger, M. Guennou, H. Roth, M. Cwik, T. Lorenz, G. Khaliullin and B. Keimer Raman Scattering in the Mott Insulators LaTiO3 and YTiO3: Evidence for Orbital Excitations Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 157401 (2006)
- S. Pailhes, C. Ulrich, B. Fauque, V. Hinkov, Y. Sidis, A. Ivanov, C.T. Lin, B. Keimer and P. Bourges Doping Dependence of Bilayer Resonant Spin Excitations in (Y,Ca)Ba2Cu3O6+x Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 257001 (2006)
- C. Ulrich, G. Khaliullin, J. Sirker, M. Reehuis, M. Ohl, S. Miyasaka, Y. Tokura and B. Keimer Magnetic neutron scattering study of YVO3: Evidence for an orbital Peierls state Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 257202 (2003)
- C. Ulrich, G. Khaliullin, S. Okamoto, M. Reehuis, A. Ivanov, H. He, Y. Taguchi, Y. Tokura and B. Keimer Magnetic order and dynamics in an orbitally degenerate ferromagnetic insulator Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 167202 (2002)
- H. He, P. Bourges, Y. Sidis, C. Ulrich, L.P. Regnault, S. Pailhes, N.S. Berzigiarova, N.N. Kolesnikov and B. Keimer Magnetic resonant mode in the single-layer high-temperature superconductor Tl2Ba2CuO6+d Science 295, 1045 (2002)
- Y. Sidis, C. Ulrich, P. Bourges, C. Bernhard, C. Niedermayer, L.P. Regnault, N.H. Andersen and B. Keimer Antiferromagnetic ordering in superconducting YBa2Cu3O6.5 Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 4100 (2001)
- J.W. Lynn, B. Keimer, C. Ulrich, C. Bernhard and J.L. Tallon Antiferromagnetic ordering of Ru and Gd in superconducting RuSr2GdCu2O8 Phys. Rev. B 61, R14964 (2000)
- C. Ulrich, A. Göbel, K. Syassen, and M. Cardona, Pressure-induced disappearance of the Raman anomaly in CuCl Phys. Rev. Lett. 82, 351 (1999)
- C. Ulrich, E. Anastassakis, K. Syassen, A. Debernardi and M. Cardona Lifetime of phonons in semiconductors under pressure Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 1283 (1997)
School of Physics
The University of New South Wales