Contributed talks and poster relevant to the subject of the Joint Discussion are most welcome. Contributions which address the following topics, as well as being relevant to future science in the far-infrared and submillimetre are especially encouraged.
* new results: what have we learnt about the interstellar medium (ISM) in the Milky Way and other galaxies from new facilities working at far infrared and sub-millimetre wavelengths?
* chemical tracers: what are the key chemical tracers of the different ISM physical environments in the Milky Way and external galaxies?
* how does feedback from the processes of massive star formation affect the ISM? what role do supernovae explosions play in shaping the ISM, particularly in active star forming environments? how fast do molecular clouds form and evolve? what ends a star burst: negative feedback or the exhaustion of fuel? what effect do galaxy mergers have on the ISM of galaxies?
* how is star formation cycle different in galaxies of low metalicity, such as the LMC and SMC? what is the stellar and protostellar content of molecular clouds in different environments, and does this correlate with the chemical and dynamic properties of the environment?
* active galaxies: how different is the interstellar medium around an AGN compared to that of a compact starburst?
* galaxies at high-redshift: what are the properties of high-redshift galaxies with strong far infrared emission?
* phases of the ISM: the cold and dense molecular ISM is a prerequisite for any star formation; how does it form and how is it dispersed ? what do we know about the cycle of interstellar matter through the various phases of the ISM?
* mechanisms for heating and cooling: what is the relative importance of shocks, UV-photons, X-rays, cosmic rays in different galactic environments?
* turbulence: what is the mutual relation between star formation and turbulence, and how do the turbulent properties of Galactic and extragalactic star forming regions differ? what mechanisms drive turbulence, and how do they vary with environment?
* what role do magnetic fields play in the ISM? Do they regulate star formation? How do they impact the phase balance in the ISM (e.g., for Galactic fountains)?
Back to JD14 Homepage
Back to IAU XXVII General Assembly Homepage